Don't be shy, drop a line!

Don't be shy, drop a line!
(Image from Zerochan)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Books, books, books

Buying books makes me happier than I ever thought it would.

As a female who utterly loathes shopping and dislikes frivolous spending, I was surprised with the amount of enjoyment that I had some buying books. I've forgotten how much I enjoy reading.

With this new realization, I've purchased Isaac Asimov's "Caves of Steel". If you're unfamiliar with the author, you might remember the movie "I, Robot"? The movie was loosely based on his book by the same title (though, I suspect that the movie might've dumbed down everything to gain a broader audience- I haven't read it yet though.) It's about a human man and his temporary Robotic partner as they work to solve a murder of a high ranking official.  However, the Robot harbors a striking likeness to the murder victim.

I've also purchased "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson, which was also turned into a movie (one of my favorites actually- though the book is very different from it). One similarity that it shares is the concept that the main character is the "last man on Earth", and that he's at war with both himself and the vampires that now stalk in the dark. 

Yes, I said vampires.  This was before Stephanie Meyer took a glittery dump on the entire vampire race.

These vampires actually kill people. I shouldn't have grinned when I stated that, but damn, I'm grinnin' like a flippin' feline.

I also bought "A Canticle for Leibowitz". It's a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel Walter M. Miller, Jr- the synopsis for this book is more profound, in my opinion.  Imagine this: man has destroyed themselves with nuclear weapons, leaving their planet and race in shambles. Centuries later, the world is rebuilding itself, this time with little scientific interference because the monks of Albertan Order of Leibowitz have preserved man's information about science until the world is ready for it again. The book is in three sections: Earth rebuilds itself, then it's people regains the information about nuclear weapons, and man will either succumb once again to their violent nature- or find a different path.

And I also purchased "Rendevous with Rama", which depicts the idea of an cylindrical alien spacecaft hurlting towards our sun. Detecting this, Earth sends people to investigate the craft before it reaches its destination. Apparently, it's a classic- and apparently, if you haven't noticed yet, my favorite genre is... science-fiction?  Amusingly, I didn't notice my preference until I double checked my list again.

I'm not a fan of romance and fantasy is great, but there's just something about science that is 10x more badass.  However, Lord of the Rings is an exception.

It's the most amazing thing ever.

//asdfghjkl;'

All in all, as a reader, I'm a pretty happy camper today.B

No comments:

Post a Comment